In 1993 the United Nations Commission on Human Rights published a confidential Iranian government document which, in effect, provides a blueprint for destroying the Bahá'í community. The text was described in the report to the UN Commission on Human Rights by the UN Special Representative for Iran, UN Document E/CN.4/1993/41, dated January 28, 1993.
[TRANSLATION FROM PERSIAN]
[Text in square brackets and emphases added by translator]
In the Name of God!
The Islamic Republic of Iran
The Supreme Revolutionary Cultural Council
Number: 132// Ö
Date: 6/12/69 [25 February 1991]
[From] Dr. Seyyed Mohammad Golpaygani
[Secretary of the Supreme Revolutionary Council]
[to] Head of the Office of Esteemed Leader [Khamenei]
After greeting, with reference to the letter #1/783 dated 10/10/69 [31 December 1990], concerning the instructions of the Esteemed Leader which had been conveyed to the Respected President regarding the Bahá'í question, we inform you that, since the respected President and the Head of the Supreme Revolutionary Cultural Council had referred this question to this Council for consideration and study, it was placed on the Councilís agenda of session #128 on 16/11/69 [5 February 1991], and session #119 of 2/11/69 [22 January 1991]. In addition to the above, and further to the [results of the] discussions held in this regard in session #112 of 2/5/66 [24 July 1987] presided over by the Esteemed Leader (head and member of the Supreme Council), the recent views and directives given by the Esteemed Leader regarding the Bahá'í question were conveyed to the Supreme Council. In consideration of the contents of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Iran, as well as the religious and civil laws and general policies of the country, as the religious and civil laws and general policies of the country, these matters were carefully studied and decisions pronounced.
In arriving at the decisions and proposing reasonable ways to deal with the above question, due consideration was given to the wishes of the Esteemed Leadership of the Islamic Republic of Iran [Khamenei], namely, that "in this regard a specific policy should be devised in such a way that everyone will understand what should or should not be done." Consequently, the following proposal and recommendations resulted from these discussions.
The respected President of the Islamic Republic of Iran [Rafsanjani], as well as the Head of the Supreme Revolutionary Cultural Council, while approving these recommendations, instructed us to convey them to the Esteemed Leader [Khamenei] so that appropriate action may be taken according to his guidance.
SUMMARY OF THE RESULTS OF THE DISCUSSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
A. General status of the Bahá'ís within the country's system
1. They will not be expelled from the country without reason.
2. They will not be arrested, imprisoned, or penalized without reason.
B. Educational and cultural status
2. Preferably, they should be enrolled in schools which have a strong and imposing religious ideology.
3. They must be expelled from universities, either in the admissions process or during, the course of their studies, once it becomes known that they are Bahá'ís.
4. Their political (espionage) activities must be dealt with according to appropriate Government laws and policies, and their religious and propaganda activities should be answered by giving them religious and cultural responses, as well as propaganda.
6. A plan must be devised to confront and destroy their cultural roots outside the country.
1. Permit them a modest livelihood as is available to the general population.
2. To the extent that it does not encourage them to be Bahá'ís, it is permissible to provide for them the means for ordinary living in accordance with the general rights given to every Iranian citizen, such as rations booklets, passports, burial certificates, work permits, etc.
3. Deny them employment if they identify themselves as Bahá'ís.
4. Deny them any position of influence, such as in the educational sector, etc.
Wishing you divine confirmations,
Secretary of the Supreme Revolutionary Cultural Council
Dr. Syyed Mohammad Golpaygani
* * *
[Note in the handwriting of Mr. Khamenei]
In the Name of God!
The decision of the Supreme Revolutionary Cultural Council seems sufficient. I thank you gentlemen for your attention and efforts.
[signed:] Ali Khamenei